Friday, April 12, 2013

Veganized Goulash

A few years ago my boyfriend decided to vegetarian-ize goulash - a Hungarian stew of meat, vegetables, and noodles, seasoned mostly with paprika.  And even though I'd never even had it when I ate meat, it quickly became one of my favorite meals.  His take on the dish is somewhat different from the traditional, using mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and carrots, rather than potatoes, but still using lots of wine :)  This gets sauteed together with fake beef crumbles and veggie stock.  At the end, he mixes in sour cream, a touch more wine (of course), parsley, and serves it over egg noodles. 
 
Since we still had half a bag of egg noodles stocked in the pantry, I kept this non-vegan element in the dish, but decided to try out the recipe with Tofutti sour cream, rather than it's dairy cousin.  And, fortunately for me, it still tasted great!  Even better than some other times we've made it.  We will still need to find an egg noodle substitute for next time, but I'm not really concerned about that.  I'm thinking rotini will be just fine. 
 
Doesn't that look tasty?

No comments:

Post a Comment