Thursday, April 25, 2013

Oreo Cookie Cookies!

Sunday at Whole Foods I spotted these delicious looking s'mores cookies.  But sadly these are definitely not vegan (because of the marshmallow they're not even vegetarian) so I had to go without.  So to make up for it, Monday afternoon I decided to get my bake on and whip up a batch of Oreo cookie cookies.  That's right, one entire kind of cookie is just one ingredient in these cookies! 
 
To make these I followed the standard Nestle chocolate chip cookie recipe (from the back of the chocolate chip bag) but replaced the chocolate chips with a bunch of crumbled up Oreos - double stuff, of course! 

The Nestle recipe calls for both eggs and butter, so naturally I turned to my new favorite vegan substitutions.  For butter I subbed in Earth Balance vegan butter.  For the eggs, I turned to Ener-G egg replacer.  The egg replacer comes as a powder that you mix with water to get a bubbly, slightly-beaten-egg-white-looking mix that you toss in to your recipe as you would one whole egg. 

As always, Panda was very helpful and offered to climb into the sink to lick off the mixing beaters when I was done. 

The cookies baked up beautifully and the batch I brought into work was highly praised and gone by the end of the day.  I would call that a success!  Only one person even realized they were vegan - and only because she remembered that I am. 

For lunch Monday I had leftover mac 'n cheese - the very last bit of the original mac 'n cheese sauce.  :(  I will definitely be making that again soon.  It even reheats well! 

On the side I had my consolation prize from the trip to Whole Foods where I couldn't get a cookie - a pretzel roll.  I think this looked good at the time because I couldn't have a cookie and really wanted to get something regardless of what it was, but it didn't turn out to be a very good idea.  It wasn't as good as a pretzel, and it wasn't even as good as a regular roll.  It was just dry and pretty tasteless.  Oh well.  Live and learn ... and bake more often! 

No comments:

Post a Comment