Thursday, April 18, 2013

Polenta with Mushrooms and Mustard Greens

Tuesday night for dinner I tried to get us out of a bit of a pasta rut by cooking up polenta with mushrooms and mustard greens.  This type of polenta (left) comes cooked and formed into a tube shape and packed in a bit of water (like tofu). 
 
The handy thing about this form (rather than dried in a box) is that all you have to do is heat and eat.  (The down side being that it won't keep as long as the dried version.)  I cut four rounds and browned them a bit on each side. 
 
While the polenta cooked, I sauteed together onion, mushrooms, veggie stock, and a bit of flour to thicken the mixture.  Right at the end I tossed in chopped mustard greens and served the mixture over the polenta rounds. 
 
I would say this dish was a winner, but not quite enough to make us full.  My boyfriend made himself a sandwich after dinner and then we both dug into leftover dessert from our vegan Italian cooking class.  Not complaining about dessert!  But maybe next time I would make about 50% more of this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment