Friday, April 26, 2013

B.A.T. - Bacon, Avocado and Tomato Sandwich

After being busy busy busy last weekend and Monday, Tuesday was pretty uneventful.  For lunch I had leftover wild rice soup and sourdough bread.  Again, non-vegan ... but tasty. 

For dinner I was feeling pretty lazy, so I whipped up some B.A.T. sandwiches - that's "bacon", avocado, and tomato.  Avocado beats lettuce every time, hands down. 
 
For the "bacon" I used LighLife smart bacon, which is the same fake bacon we used to make Spaghetti alla carbonara in the Vegan Italian cooking class my boyfriend and I took a while back. 
 
The smart bacon cooked up crispy in the pan just like real bacon ... or at least I think so?  I never really had a lot of experience with real bacon even when I ate meat, and I don't think I've ever cooked it myself.  But the fake stuff has a nice smoky flavor and doesn't have the disgusting looking fat dripping off of it, so it's a winner in my book. 

The only thing you need to watch for is that it can turn from brown and crispy to black and burnt very fast.  Maybe some people would prefer it that way, but I like my food char-free. 

The balance of avocado, tomato, and smoky bacon made for a delicious sandwich and I will definitely be making these again soon. Plus they were quick, easy, and felt relatively healthy too. Maybe next time I will add something on the side to make it feel more like a real dinner ... if I'm feeling ambitious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment