Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Escaping Artscape

Josh and I lazed around for a while Sunday morning since once we left my parking space, we knew it would be quickly stolen by an Artscape-goer and we would be stuck out for the rest of the day.  We sat around reading for a bit, and I enjoyed a chocolate graham cracker protein shake for breakfast.  Josh gave me a weird look while I was making it like I was crazy, but that's just because he doesn't know how delicious it is!  One banana, chocolate protein powder, ground flax,  3 half graham cracker cookies, and chocolate soy milk.  Yum, yum! 
When we finally ventured out we didn't even take the car.  We headed over to On The Hill Cafe for lunch.  This place is so close to our apartment, but we don't really go that often.  And pretty soon we'll have moved away and then I think we're really going to miss it.  We're not big coffee drinkers, but it's a great cafe.  And they have lots of vegetarian and even some vegan options - which is sadly rare in many restaurants.
 
The last time we visited On The Hill I was worried that my favorite dish wasn't actually vegan ...  But after some further consideration on the subject, I'd decided their sweet corn cakes probably were vegan after all, so I was eager to go back.  And fortunately the waitress confirmed that they were as long as I left off the cheese and sour cream.  Yay!  I topped mine with a generous amount of chalula (no, that's not ketchup). 
 
After lunch we headed home and ventured out in the car for the rest of a very long day.  First we went shopping for some cheap sunglasses for Josh to wear when he doesn't want to risk his nice ones (to replace the old cheapo pair that broke).  Then we hit the climbing gym for a few hours of bouldering.  After climbing we went to Josh's parents' to hang out for the rest of the evening.  We sat around watching the U.S. beat El Salvador and then enjoyed a delicious dinner.  I didn't get a picture of everything (mostly because it seems really rude to go "wait, wait, I have to get a picture!" when someone is serving you a nice meal. 
 
But I did get a quick shot of the appetizer - the same eggplant caponata crostini they made once before.  This stuff is seriously delicious.  We gobbled up the whole plate in just a couple of minutes.  Dinner was pasta, plus sides of marinated zucchini, marinated tomatoes, and broccoli with fava beans.  And dessert was amazing blueberry pie that Josh's mom made with Crisco rather than butter for the crust.  They're so great to adapt recipes for me!  It was all delicious, and needless to say we were stuffed by the end. 
After dinner we hung out watching TV late into the night until we could go home and actually park again ... after midnight :(  Long day at the end of a long weekend.  I will definitely not be missing Artscape once we move! 


No comments:

Post a Comment