Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Crazy Morning and Vegan Goulash

Tuesday morning started out interestingly.  I was woken up by the sound of Panda trying to cough up a hairball.  I stumbled out of bed and tried to chase her into the kitchen so she could throw up on  the tile instead of the carpet.  Of course she took this to be an act of hostility.  She started running around the apartment with her tail poofed up, hissing and growling.  Oddly enough with all the running around she seemed to forget that she ever intended to cough up a hairball.  Or at least I never found one ...

Since I was up so early I decided to take the opportunity to get in a good morning workout. Once I was finished and cleaned up I got to work on my morning protein shake.  This one was going to be good - using the Silk dark chocolate almond milk.  Of course no sooner had I made it then I promptly spilled the whole thing all over the kitchen counter.  This wouldn't be such a problem if we were more organized people, but my boyfriend and I have tons of junk mail covering the counter.  Which then ended up covered in chocolate protein shake.  Yuck!  It took forever to mop up all the shake.  So then of course I barely made it on time for work.  Ugh!

Mid-morning I snacked on some pistachios.  I've always heard these are a good snack because they're slow to eat (because you have to shell each one), which keeps you from downing too many.  That doesn't seem to be the case for me.  They might have slowed me down, but not so much that I didn't still eat about a million of them. 

For lunch I had delicious leftover lasagna.  Lasagna's one of those foods that's just as good (if not better!) the next day.  It's perfect for lazy mornings when you don't have time to make a lunch.  Or maybe for those mornings when you have a few other things on your mind ...

Mid-afternoon I needed another little snack, so I munched on some dried mixed berries. 





When I got home from work I was in the mood for a more involved dinner preparation, so I decided vegan goulash was the perfect dish. 
 
 Everything you need for delicious vegan goulash ... The crucial missing ingredient in this picture?  Marsala wine!  I forgot to take it out of the fridge before I took this photo and didn't get it out until I'd used up or put away the other ingredients.  (Just picture it sitting in that empty space next to the paprika ... )

The goulash turned out amazing, as usual.  Rather than the egg noodles I used to use, I decided to try using shell pasta instead.  The substitution was great, and made the whole thing vegan! 
 
After dinner I needed just a little something sweet, so I had a small bowl of chocolate tofu.  This stuff is seriously addicting.  I know it looks just like ice cream, but it's more like a firmer version of chocolate mousse.  And it comes out of the fridge looking like that ... Weird, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment