Monday, July 8, 2013

Lots of Vegan Shopping

This past weekend was filled with tons of apartment hunting, with a few other fun activities peppered into the mix.  On Saturday, those extra activities tended to revolve around shopping for interesting and exotic vegan goods.  First stop: Boulder For Men, a vegan clothing store that (unfortunately for me) only carries men's clothing, shoes, and accessories. 
 
Josh was particularly in the market for shoes, and because he has no foot size issues, came away with a great pair of brown dress shoes from Novacas.  His ethical shoe choice definitely made me feel a little worse about my recent shoe purchasing sin, so I decided I really need to make a better effort to buy cruelty-free, no matter how cute or cheap the shoe options.  Eeek!  Easier said now that I'm not in a shoe store ... but I will try! 
 
After checking out an apartment, we headed to The Limerick Pub in Wheaton for lunch.  It had good reviews on Yelp, including a few that mentioned good vegan options.  Doing a search for "vegan" on Yelp all-too-often just yields "there are no vegan options at this place!"  But luckily these reviews actually mentioned more than one vegan option on the menu, and more importantly there didn't seem to be much else around ...
 
My boyfriend ordered the veggie burger (which could have been vegan without the cheese), while I opted for the vegan sausage sandwich with chips (fries to us Americans).  This was basically the sandwich version of vegan "bangers and mash" with chips subbed for the mash, which was also on the menu. 
 
The sandwich came piled high with mushrooms and onions, and came with a sweet and spicy brown mustard on the side.  It felt very authentically Irish, even though it was vegan.  It was actually way too much to eat, and I ended up leaving the last quarter behind.  But it was delicious.  The place also looked like it would be a lot of fun, especially during their advertised live music or on a trivia night.  We will have to go back there sometime after we move! 
 
On our way home later that afternoon we stopped into Pangea Vegan Products, a largely online store that has a small store front that is only open on Saturdays.  I wasn't really sure what to expect, but thought it would be fun to check it out.  It turns out the "store front" is incredibly small, and about the size of a large walk-in closet.  They only had a few items out, and you had to ask for any refrigerated items stored in the back.  Many of their offerings were also things that are easily available at Whole Foods (and for less money!).  I came away with a few items, but not the large haul I had thought I might.  If any of it is particularly promising and I can't find it elsewhere, I will probably just buy it online in the future. 
 
Because we ate such a large and late lunch, I decided to use the opportunity to eat dessert for dinner!  We stopped into Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, where I got a giant bowl of peanut butter soy frozen yogurt topped with Oreo cookies, graham cracker crumbles, and peanut butter topping.  Lots of peanutty goodness.  This definitely can't be an everyday thing, but every once in a while it's delicious and makes you feel like a kid again ... guilty for having dessert for dinner, but still so so happy about it. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment