Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Blueberry Muffin Success and Homemade Burger Fail

Sunday morning I finally got around to making these delicious-looking blueberry muffins that I spotted on Chocolate Covered Katie's website a while back.  And fortunately she did not disappoint. 
 
But I suppose rather than "muffins" I should say "muffin", because the recipe proportions actually yield just one perfect little muffin.  I doubled the recipe so both my boyfriend and I could each have one of these beauties.  Other than doubling, I followed the recipe exactly and they came out perfectly.  Fluffy and delicious.  I'll definitely be making these again! 
 
Can you believe Sunday afternoon we went out apartment hunting again?!  But I think this will be our final trip, because we revisited an apartment we'd seen a while back, and after seeing what our other options really were we decided it was probably the best we'd seen.  Seems like we might have finally found our future home!
 
After checking out the apartment we stopped into California Tortilla for lunch.  We actually went to the location right by Josh's work, so he goes there all the time, but I never get a chance to go here so I was pretty excited.  You know I love Mexican food, and California Tortilla has different types of options than you tend to see at other fast Mexican joints. 
 
I opted for the "No Meato Burrito", which is advertised on the menu as vegan-friendly because it isn't automatically made with cheese and sour cream.  It includes sautéed veggies, black beans, Spicy Sunset sauce, leaf spinach, Mexican rice, guacamole, and salsa.  Yummo!  I also really appreciate that they offer a "small" sized burrito - the perfect portion when you want to be able to walk, rather than roll, out of the restaurant. 
 
After eating lunch we went for a mini-hike through some nearby woods to digest a bit before heading to the Rockville Earth Treks location.  Neither of us had ever been to the Rockville gym, but after we move it will be our new regular climbing gym, so we decided to check it out.  The gym is so much bigger than the Timonium one.  It's probably twice the size.  But there were probably about twice as many people there too!  It was definitely odd climbing there because we're not used to the route setters at the Rockville gym, so neither of us were doing very well.  Hopefully we'll get used to them quickly once it becomes our regular spot. 
 
For dinner I decided to try out a recipe for bean burgers I'd spotted online, but unfortunately it didn't work as well as I'd hoped ... or at all, really.  The recipe wanted you to pulse kidney beans, cooked rice, and carrots together in a food processor.  Since I didn't have one I thought I would be able to use my blender just as effectively, but what I ended up was too blended and looked more like a dip.  I tried hand mixing in more rice to give it more texture, but the "patties" still wouldn't fry properly in the pan and I ended up with a sloppy-joe type sandwich rather than a burger. 
 
Fortunately they still tasted fine, especially topped with tomato, avocado, and chipotle mayo and served with baked beans on the side.  It felt like an authentically-summery meal.  But next time I'll still probably just stick with Boca ...

No comments:

Post a Comment