Friday, July 19, 2013

Dry Toast and Other Foods for an Upset Stomach

I felt so queasy on the drive home Thursday after eating my leftover sandwich from Annabel Lee that I nearly pulled over a couple times, worried that otherwise I would throw up in my passenger seat.  :(  Fortunately I never did, and I made it home okay.  As soon as I got home I went and sat in the bathroom for a while before I felt good enough to make myself a piece of plain toast to help settle my stomach.  Needless to say, I also cancelled on the crossfit class I'd registered for that night! 
 
Plain toast is what my Mom always used to make for me when I was sick as a kid, and I still think it's the best remedy for an upset stomach.  You have to get something in your stomach to help ground it, but it has to be something very innocuous so it doesn't come back up.  And liquids are definitely off-limits! 
 
The rest of the evening I pretty much spent curled up on the couch trying to eat foods that I thought wouldn't upset my stomach.  After the toast I made myself a bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter mixed in.  That went over pretty well.  And the more I ate the more grounded my stomach felt.  Part of the problem is being hungry makes me kind of nauseated too, so I had to balance sick-nausea with hunger-nausea ...
 
By the end of the night I was getting hungry again, so I pulled the banana coconut tart out of the freezer to see if freezing had helped hold it together better.  Obviously, freezing the tart really helped to firm up the cashew cream - it was almost like ice cream!  Unfortunately, it didn't help much with holding the crust together.  It was just too crumbly ... but still tasty!  Josh had a piece and said he'd probably prefer it un-frozen, so back to the fridge it went!  Let's see if I can find a happy medium for this tart ... before it's all eaten up!

No comments:

Post a Comment