Wednesday, May 8, 2013

On The Hill Cafe

Sunday for brunch my boyfriend and I headed to a cafe a few blocks from our house, a bit misleadingly called On the Hill (it is close to the bottom of a minor hill).  The menu is modest, but there are a few gems.  Unfortunately, only one item is helpfully labeled as vegan, the Mt. Royal sandwich - hummus, eggplant, tomato, and greens on focaccia. 
 
This didn't sound terribly intriguing, so I decided to modify my old vegetarian favorite instead - the tamale cakes.  The tamale cakes are two sweet corn cakes which normally sandwich pico de gallo, guacamole, cheese, and sour cream.  I ordered these sans cheese and sour cream and asked them to substitute in the black bean and corn mixture they normally use on the southwestern salad.  After taking this picture I also poured a generous portion of chalula hot sauce on top.  In my opinion, this version was even better than the one loaded with cheese and sour cream - usually way too much sour cream, in my prior experience. 
 
But of course this meal was not really to be a winner.  Because once I came home and got to musing on how one makes corn cakes, I googled a few recipes and came to the sad realization that there's probably no way they made these babies without using eggs ... whomp whomp.  I might be able to try making my own version at home sometime with egg replacer, but I won't be having them at On the Hill anymore.  I guess that boring-looking Mt. Royal sandwich will be my only option there in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment