Thursday, May 16, 2013

Southern Comfort Food

Monday's breakfast looked more like dessert, with a banana, peanut butter, chocolate protein shake and an almond cupcake (can I even call them that given how they turned out?) drizzled with meyer lemon caramel.  Sugar overload! 
 
For lunch I reheated my leftovers from Baja Fresh Sunday night and added a bit of extra salsa for kick and tortilla chips on the side.  My standard Baja Fresh meal is definitely a keeper.  For about five dollars ($3 for the rice and beans, and $2 for the guacamole side) I get two giant and delicious meals.  I don't even think I could make it for myself as cheap (avocados can be pretty pricey). 

For dinner I decided to put together a Southern-style meal of comfort food.  I still had a bit of kale left from Friday's dinner, so I sauteed the kale greens in olive oil with garlic and tossed with red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.  I also cooked two ears of corn over the stove top burner flame to get them nice and charred on all sides, then coated with Earth Balance, salt and pepper.  While all of this was happening, I baked some MorningStar Farms riblets to make bbq riblet sandwiches.  Huge meal, I know!  But it was all really good and super satisfying.  And felt like the first "real" summer meal we've had this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment