Saturday, May 11, 2013

Home-Made Scallion Pancakes

After loading up on chocolate a lot lately, Wednesday morning I left chocolate behind in favor of a banana shake with vanilla protein powder and frozen mixed fruit - pineapple, strawberries, peaches, and mango.  It's really easy to have frozen fruit on hand, and the mixed fruit makes for a particularly tasty shake. 
 
Mid-morning at work I snacked (yet again) on oatmeal and peanut butter.  This is definitely becoming one of my favorite work snacks.  It's delicious and filling.  Plus all you need is pantry supplies and hot water. 

For lunch I had leftover white bean spread and French bread.  Unfortunately, I forgot to bring a knife to slice the bread so I had to resort to a plastic butter knife I had stashed in my office.  Not exactly the easiest way to cut a loaf of bread. 

The spread held up really well as leftovers and it was a great lunch. 
 
For dinner I decided to try my hand at making my own scallion pancakes, and do a much better job than the frozen version
Step one was to make a tasty sauce that would be better than using Thai peanut sauce.  I mixed together soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions, red pepper flakes, sugar, and ginger. 
 
Too bad step one should have been to make the pancake dough, because apparently it's supposed to sit for a half hour before rolling out.  Oops.  While the dough sat, I snacked on some Asian snack mix to curb my hunger a bit. 

The snack mix is incredibly addicting ... I certainly did not stop at this little handful. 

Once the dough had rested, it gets rolled out, brushed with oil, and covered with scallions.  Then the dough is rolled into a log and cut into four pieces, which are formed into balls and rolled out again to form each pancake.  Easy peasy, right? 

Then brown each pancake for a few minutes on either side. 
Cut into quarters and enjoy!  I think I've made these better before, but they were quite yummy.  Not exacly the healthiest dinner, but definitely filling.  Maybe next time I will make half the recipe and whip up some sauteed broccoli as a healthy side dish.  Yep, that sounds like a plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment