Friday, May 10, 2013

Chocolate, Chocolate, and More Chocolate!

Monday morning started off bright and early with a delicious chocolate, peanut butter, and banana protein shake.  This is also my boyfriend's protein shake of choice, so it's much easier to make two at once than make two different flavors.  It makes for speedier mornings. 

When lunchtime rolled around I looked deep into the freezer and found the last frozen scallion pancake from a box we purchased a long time ago.  Like, I'm thinking maybe more than 6 months.  Do these things have an expiration date?  Well, except for a little frost built up along the edges it seemed just fine, so I defrosted it and then browned it on both sides in vegetable oil. 
 
I decided it needed a little something more, so I tried adding a bit of Thai peanut sauce - the same I've been using in Asian tofu dinners.  Big mistake.  The sauce was all wrong here.  So wrong I wish I'd tasted it before slathering it all over the pancake :(  It had too much of a sour vinegar flavor and really ruined the whole thing.  Oh well.  Live and learn I suppose.  I would be better off making my own sauce next time.  And probably my own scallion pancake too!  
 
Later on that afternoon I decided I needed even more chocolate than what I got at breakfast, so I turned to my dark chocolate dreams peanut butter.  The jar says enjoy with bananas, but I decided to try it on a sliced apple. 

Turns out apple was not the ideal way to enjoy this peanut butter.  It's definitely better either plain or with banana.  The apple didn't manage to bring out the flavor of the peanut butter, but the peanut butter managed to mask enough of the apple flavor to leave the whole thing pretty lacking. 

So, lunch and post-lunch snacks both ended up failing ... not good.  Live and learn, I guess. 

For dinner my boyfriend and I were not in the mood to make anything complicated, so we decided to make easy, tasty tuna sandwiches using Asmar's vegan tuna.  The package calls it "vegetarian tuna salad", but the ingredients are all vegan - even using veganaise! 






My favorite way to eat a tuna sandwich is just with tuna, pickles, and bread.  No nonsense and delicious.  
 
After dinner I enjoyed some more sweet summer strawberries for dessert.  I will definitely be sad when these go out of season.  I'm eating them constantly right now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment