Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sweet Sunday and Kale Chips

Still without bananas on Sunday I made myself a sweet breakfast of an almond cupcake topped with meyer lemon caramel with sea salt - not vegan, but I owned this before I became vegan, so it's on my okay list.  The caramel turned out to be the perfect topping because it was sweet and tart, with the salt cutting the sweetness just enough to keep the cavity feeling at bay.  
 
A little later in the morning my stomach was grumbling again and apparently my sweet tooth wasn't quite satisfied, so I turned to another sweet treat ... an apple topped with white chocolate wonderful peanut butter. 
 


The white chocolate wonderful worked much better on the apple than the dark chocolate dreams I tried a while back.  I think I'll stick to dark chocolate dreams with banana and white chocolate wonderful with apple.  Or when in doubt, maybe I'll just stick to straight from the jar with a spoon for both! 
 
Later in the afternoon I decided to use up some leftover kale from Friday's dinner by making kale chips.  Normally I'm not a huge fan of kale chips and I always seem to over- or undercook them, but my boyfriend likes them a lot and the kale was there, so I thought I'd try my hand at them one more time. 
 
I started by de-stemming and thoroughly drying chopped kale, then tossed with olive oil and Old Bay seasoning.  Old Bay is mandatory in Maryland, after all! 

Then I spread the kale on a baking sheet and baked at 350 for what turned out to be about 20 minutes.  I checked on the chips compulsively the whole time, though, so if I hadn't been opening the oven door every two minutes it might have taken a lot less time. 

When they were done they were light and crispy, but not too well cooked.  I think I have difficulty because the kale is so thin it goes from "not quite done" to "whoops ... overdone!" in about one minute.  But these seemed to turn out just right.  And my boyfriend agreed.  The whole bowl was gone by the next day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment