Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Quinoa Salad and a Healthy Wegman's Dinner

I slept in incredibly late Sunday morning and it felt wonderful.  When I finally got myself out of bed I enjoyed a peanut butter banana protein shake but this time with vanilla protein powder and vanilla soymilk instead of my usual chocolate.  It wasn't really breakfast because it was closer to lunchtime when I drank it. 

After lazing around for a bit I got out of the house to go for a run around the reservoir at Druid Hill Park.  It was a beautiful day for a run, with a cool breeze and sunny, blue skies. 
 
Unfortunately I hadn't let my protein shake digest long enough, and it was sloshing around horribly while I tried to run!  Needless to say, I felt sick and horrible and kept stopping to walk along the way.  Not a good run at all :( 
 
When I got home I indulged in a slice of pumpkin cheesecake post-run to bring my spirits up. 








I decided lunch should be a little healthier than I've been eating lately, so I mixed up a healthy quinoa salad.  I used yellow quinoa, canned black beans, canned corn, diced red pepper, chopped scallions, and a lot of chalula.  This is my go-to quinoa salad because it's really healthy, filling, and delicious.  But I've been thinking I should add another quinoa salad to my repertoir.  Stay tuned for something new in the near future! 

After lunch my boyfriend and I hit the climbing gym for a couple of hours and then headed to his parents' house to catch up on Game of Thrones - we don't have cable so it's hard to stay on track.  
 
For dinner we decided to stop by the Wegman's prepared foods bar.  There's always something new at the bar I haven't tried, and everything is so delicious!  Trying to stay on my healthy kick, I headed to the salad bar and started with a bed of romaine lettuce and piled on a spicy six bean salad and some roasted yams and kale.  They were both amazing.  I wish I'd taken a closer look at the ingredient lists on these so I can try to recreate them at home sometime.  I will have to remember next time I go back. 
 
I also put together a container of mixed fruit for dessert.  Healthy, healthy! 
 
It was a valiant effort, but the healthy kick didn't last long.  When we got home the last of the pumpkin cheesecake in the fridge called to me and I couldn't resist it's siren song. (I'm so melodramatic when it comes to my desserts!)  I decided to just give in and eat one last giant piece.  Now the pie's all gone and I will not let myself make another dessert ... at least for this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment