Monday, May 20, 2013

Mexican Feast

Saturday morning for breakfast we were out of bananas (again) so I enjoyed toast with Biscoff spread instead.  It was incredibly delicious .. like dessert for breakfast!  But I know this has to just be an occasional treat because there's basically no nutritional value here whatsoever.  Fortunately, I love my protein shake routine too much to give it up, even for Biscoff toast! 
 
My whole schedule got thrown off a bit Saturday because my boyfriend and I went out for a run along the NCR Trail a little after noon.  We only ran a few miles because neither of us has been working out much lately, but it still took us about an hour (I'm a slow poke!).  Since we were up near the climbing gym we decided to climb for a bit after our run, and didn't get home until after 4 o'clock.  We were both pretty hungry by then, so we decided to have an early dinner / extremely late lunch.  And to make up for the combined meal I decided to make it into a huge Mexican feast. 
 
Fortunately, we tend to keep lots of supplies on hand to make Mexican food, since it's both of our favorite.  Like this Mexican spice set that has everything you need to make seasoned black beans (just add one can of black beans!). 
 
In addition to the beans, I cooked up yellow rice and fried slices of plantain.  Then I topped everything with sliced avocado, salsa, and vegan sour cream.  I told you it was a feast!  The plate could barely hold it all.  It was an incredibly delicious and filling meal. 

For some reason, rather than hanging around by my feet while I cooked hoping I drop something or put a dirty spoon in the sink, Panda spent the time curled up in her favorite chair sound asleep.  I don't know what she was up to while we were out for our run and climbing, but whatever it was seemed to tire her out! 
 
Despite the incredibly filling dinner, I still found myself wanting something sweet a few hours after dinner.  (Linner?  Dunch?) 
 
So I turned to my favorite jar of peanut butter - the white chocolate wonderful from Peanut Butter & Co.  It says right on the jar "try me with pears" and fortunately I have Asian pears sitting right on the fruit stand, so I decided to take them up on the suggestion. 
 
The pear / peanut butter mix was quite tasty, but I don't think it was even as good as the apple / peanut butter combo I had a while back.  Maybe I just like apples more than pears.  In fact, I know I do. 

Still later in the evening my snack attack came back and I dug into the Bombay chick peas I'd originally bought for movie night.  They were pretty good, and I definitely liked the seasoning mix, but I'm a bigger fan of my own baked chick peas, which I don't bake to a hard crisp, but leave them still soft on the inside.  Plus I get to eat the still warm from the oven.  Yum! 



No comments:

Post a Comment