Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Making Vegan Dinner for My Boyfriend's Parents

Saturday morning I slept in pretty late - I guess I stayed up too late enjoying the longest day of the year the night before.  When I finally got up I got right to work preparing for dinner at my boyfriend's parents' house by mixing up some cashew cream sauce for the best pasta ever.  I actually had to look back at my original blog post to make sure I didn't leave anything out of the sauce.  It just proves blogging for posterity actually has it's uses! 
 
Once the sauce was mixed up I headed out to get groceries and go for a run at Druid Hill Park.  It looked like a beautiful day before I started running, but it turns out running around a reservoir with very little shade at noon-ish in 80 degree weather is not so fun.  The run was only a couple of miles, but I ended up stopping to walk a few times along the way. 
 
Because running has always been my most difficult form of exercise, I tend to beat myself up when a run goes poorly, so I just try to keep in mind that one bad run isn't the end of the world, and the most important thing is that I got out there and got my butt moving.  Hey, even a walk is better than nothing! 
 
When I got home I made myself a tasty strawberry banana protein shake to cool off. 
Because I was getting such a late start, it seemed silly to make a real lunch, so I snacked on some pistachios to tide me over until dinner. 
 
The plan for dinner was for my boyfriend and I to bring all the supplies over to make a delicious vegan feast for his parents at their house.  The menu we decided on was:
 
Main Course: Best Pasta Ever
Dessert: Flourless Chocolate Cake Topped with Coconut Cream
 
Luckily I'd already made the cake Friday afternoon, so all we had to do was make the pasta and kale - easy peasy!
 
My boyfriend's parents made a delicious appetizer to snack on before dinner - eggplant caponata crostini, which they found care of Martha Stewart's website.  Thanks, Martha!  It was so good I could have just eaten those alone for dinner ... and I nearly did!  I think I had six or seven crostini all to myself. 
 
But we did eventually get around to making the real dinner.  It's a little odd to cook in someone else's kitchen - you're always searching for the right pans and other tools - but things went pretty smoothly and both his parents said they loved the whole dinner. 
 
They were amazed you could get the pasta sauce by making cashews, and everyone (my boyfriend included, because I hadn't warned him) was amazed there was tofu in the chocolate cake.  The next day my boyfriend's mother called to thank us again and say that we'd really opened her eyes to vegan cooking.  Yay!  I can't wait to make vegan dinner again for them soon. 
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment