Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sick > Vegan

Tuesday morning I was still feeling really crummy, but I decided to tough it out and go to work anyway.  Not sure that's the best way to get better quickly, but I have a really hard time skipping something because I'm sick.  I always feel like people will assume I'm faking it. 
 
Fun fact: I have never faked being sick.  Not even as a kid.  I guess I was too much of a goody-goody, and I was worried I'd get caught in the lie. 
 
So off to work I went with a big box of kleenex and a mango banana protein shake (for more vitamin C!). 
 
At work I was miserable, blowing my nose all day plus I still had a really sore throat.  Unfortunately, my gross symptoms won out over my vegan ideals.  I needed something hot to soothe my throat and I don't drink tea or coffee.  So I turned to packets of hot chocolate we had at home that contained milk.  I know technically this falls under the category of "non-vegan food I already owned", but considering those packets weren't going bad anytime soon I had assumed I would never drink them and my boyfriend would eventually take care of them.  But no such luck. 
 
I  didn't have the luxury of mixing up Ghiradelli at home, and I needed something warm to drink ... several somethings, in fact ... so I drank two mugs of this stuff during the day at work. 
 
I also had leftover soup from Saturday night's dinner as a quick, easy, and soothing (!) lunch.  No dumplings in the mix, just soup.  But it was hot and delicious.  By the end of the day my sore throat had pretty much passed, and I was left with *just* congestion and a runny nose. 
 
I know the common cold is one of those things you just have to wait out, but I always find myself questioning why science hasn't figured this one out yet.  The person who cures this will definitely become a centillionaire (that's the largest number listed on Wikipedia). 

No comments:

Post a Comment