Friday, June 28, 2013

Healthy Lunch and Failing at Softball

For Thursday morning's smoothie I tried out something new ... Silk dark chocolate almond milk!  I still had chocolate soy milk to use up so I made my chocolate banana shake with half soy milk and half of the new stuff.  It was delicious and definitely more chocolatey than normal. 
For lunch I decided to follow my own advice for once and packed a super healthy, nutitious lunch - a giant salad with French bread on the side.  Fortunately, I'd taken the time to chop up the extra cucumber and red pepper while I was making gazpacho and tossed the chopped veggies in a tupperware so that they would be ready to go into a salad quickly. 
 
Into the salad went: greens, red pepper, cucumber, artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes, slivered almonds, and a dressing made with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, almonds (blended up), salt, and pepper.  Unfortunately, I'm really not a big fan of vinegar flavor.  It's the main reason I tend to shy away from salads - because I don't like the way most dressings taste.  In fact, I couldn't manage to finish this sald because of the flavor.  Though they're a lot less healthy, I used to prefer creamy dressings that mask that sour/bitter vinegar taste.  I could try to make a vegan version of one of those for the future ...  Or I could come up with some other sauce alternatives for my salads, like salsa or pesto.  To be continued on the salad-making adventures ...


Mid-afternoon I had a long meeting scheduled, so I snacked on the last cornmeal coconut biscuit to keep my stomach from grumbling during the meeting. For some reason, when my stomach grumbles it's the loudest thing ever. Maybe I have a lot more hollow space inside me for the sound to reverberate. It's crazy loud!
 
Right before I left work I had another quick snack - some dried mixed berries.  I planned to join my boyfriend's work softball team to help them out because they expected to be short a girl for the game (the team is required to have at least three girls, and every time a girl should come up and doesn't the team gets an automatic out). 
 
Unfortunately, I wasn't really any help to them because I've never played softball before, and the two times I came up to bat I was out at first and then struck out :(  Whomp whomp.  So it would have been just the same for them if I hadn't been there at all ...
 
After the game my boyfriend and I headed out to dinner at Baja Fresh.  (If you hadn't noticed yet, when we do fast food, it's almost always Mexican - Chipotle, Qdoba, Baja Fresh ...)
 
I ordered my usual Baja Fresh mish-mash: rice and beans plate with no cheese and a side of guacamole ... then onto the salsa bar for tons of hot salsa, pico de gallo, and chopped jalapenos.  Usually all this food (plus the free chips they give you) is enough for two meals, but I ate almost the whole thing in one sitting!  There wasn't even enough left to bother to bring it home.  That's probably the sign of a good meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment