Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sunday BBQ and Celebrating Father's Day

Sunday morning started with a quick run followed by a peanut butter banana protein shake.  I used chocolate protein powder but vanilla soy milk.  Yum yum yum.   
 
I didn't eat any lunch because we were headed to a BBQ at a friend's house in the early afternoon and I didn't want to spoil my appetite.  For our BBQ contribution we brought a bunch of ears of corn for grilling (plus some Earth Balance for me) and a dozen horchata cupcakes. 
There were some vegan options available at the BBQ, but I was really glad we brought food - especially dessert.  I ended up eating two cupcakes while I was there.  I also snacked on fresh veggies and enjoyed a dish the hosts made with spaghetti squash, chopped red and orange peppers, olive oil, and garlic.  It was simple but fresh and flavorful.  I've also never had spaghetti squash before, so it was a real eye opener for me.  I'll definitely be looking for it next time I'm at the store. 
 
After the BBQ we headed to my boyfriend's parents' house to celebrate Father's Day.  I gave my boyfriend's father the goodies I'd picked up at DiPasquale's Saturday: some red wine, tri-color pasta (a kind I'd never seen before), and arugula pesto.  I didn't bother to check to get vegan wine, but both the pasta and the pesto are vegan! 
 
Dinner at my boyfriend's parents' was a Middle Eastern tagine made with artichoke hearts, peas, and potatoes.  And on the side they made an unusual but tasty honeydew and mint salad.  For dessert his mom made "ice cream" from frozen banana, strawberries, sugar, and vanilla extract.  It was delicious.  And I really appreciate all the effort they have made to make vegan meals for me - I know they are way out of their comfort zone there.  Next weekend I'll be returning the favor by making them the best pasta ever.  I hope they agree! 


No comments:

Post a Comment