Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Why I Don't Wear Faux Fur

A lot of people have asked me over the years why I'm not willing to wear faux fur when it doesn't seem like I should object to it's origins.  Indeed, my position against faux fur can make it difficult to shop for a winter coat or boots, which are often trimmed with faux fur.  My original reason for this was that I don't think it's fashionable to even look like you're wearing fur.  Faux only enhances the value of real fur by making it seem like it's cool or better in some way to have fur on your collar or cuffs.  I don't want to support an industry by imitating it, even if the support would be indirect. 
 
But this story on CNN today highlights another very important reason to avoid faux fur ... it might not be faux at all!  Neiman Marcus and two other retailers admitted to selling REAL fur that was labeled as faux.  A lot of people may think they would know the difference between faux and real, but the truth is you won't really know.  Is it really worth it to risk an animal's life so you can make a fashion statement? 

No comments:

Post a Comment