Saturday, March 16, 2013

Old Friends

I'm probably quite fortunate in making this transition that I have been trying to make vegan choices for some time now, which means I have a few old friends to turn to in these trying times.

 
Having used soy milk to make my morning smoothies and earth balance vegan butter for baking, I already know what I'm getting myself into when I use these products.  And in both cases, I know I'm geting myself into something wonderful :)  So when I make breakfast in the morning (which almost every day involves a banana, flax seed, and either some other fruit and vanilla soymilk or peanut butter and chocolate soymilk, if I'm feeling indulgent), I don't have to change my routine.  This is particularly crucial when I'm tired and just want to go back to bed.  Having a reprieve from the constant analysis and doubt about every food decision is a relief. 
 
Maybe this goes without saying, but I definitely think it's easier to ease yourself into a vegan lifestyle by making a few transition choices like this and experimenting over time, rather than diving in all at once.  While that might be an option for some, or even a preference, it can also leave you with culture shock, which just may be enough to scare you off the path altogether. 
 
Now, please excuse me while I enjoy my vegan breakfast.  Mm mm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment