Friday, March 29, 2013

Butternut Squash Ravioli and Mushroom Appetizer

Last night for dinner I made a great meal that seemed really impressive but was actually incredibly easy.  I made a tasty marinated mushroom appetizer and butternut squash risotto entree.  The mushroom appetizer was super simple.  It was just 1/2 pound of sliced mushrooms, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and oregano.  After washing the mushrooms, saute with a bit of olive oil for a few minutes, then add a splash of vinegar and seasoning to taste.  Let it all cook down while starting to boil the pasta. 
 
The pasta was a great find at Mom's Organic Market, where I scoured the ingredient lists on the Rising Moon pastas until I found two that were vegan. 
 
The butternut squash ravioli was actually my favorite when I was vegetarian, but I never looked to see that it was actually an amazing vegan treat! 
 
My favorite way to serve butternut squash ravioli is simply tossed with a bit of butter (Earth Balance), sage, and black pepper.
 

And then of course serve with a little vegan Parmesan :) 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 






Look how impressive these super dishes look - almost restaurant-worthy! 
 
 
 
After dinner we both still wanted a little sweet treat, so I melted some Whole Foods chocolate chips and dipped a few strawberries.  My technique on this definitely needs work, because only the first few ever end up looking like the beautiful dipped strawberries the professionals make, and the last ones end up all goopy and uneven, but they still taste great!  I guess the professionals waste a lot of chocolate, whereas I want to use every last drop so I end up kind of spooning it onto the last few strawberries ...  But like I said, tasty nonetheless!  The perfect dessert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment