Friday, March 22, 2013

Kabocha Squash Curry

Last night's dinner was a bit of an experiment. It started while shopping at Mom's Organic Market last weekend where my boyfriend spotted this kabocha squash.
 

 
Memories of tasty Thai curry at True Thai in Minneapolis (best Thai restaurant ever!) came pouring back and he announced that we needed to make curry this week. So last night I gathered ingredients and tried my best ... With so-so results.
 

I started by chopping up some onions and green pepper. 



 


And added ginger, garlic (yes, I cheat with the bottled versions rather than chopping it myself) and curry paste. 





 





After sauteing for a bit I added a can of coconut milk and got to preparing the squash.  First you need to cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds, just like scooping out a pumpkin for a jack-o-lantern.  Then you quarter each half and cut off the tough skin. 
 
 
 
Finally, cut up the peeled squash into bite-sized pieces.  Frankly, cutting up this squash was one of the scariest experiences of my life. I was certain I was going to cut myself badly if not actually sever a finger.  I'm not eager to do this in the future, even though I have some great ideas about how to improve this curry next time.  (Hello, chili peppers and pressed tofu!) 



The squash took forever to cook.  I was getting very impatient.  But about an hour after I tossed it into the pan everything was ready to go.  Next time maybe I'll precook the squash a bit before everything else gets started. 
 


I topped the final product with cilantro and a touch of lime juice and served it over white rice.  It was tasty but could definitely use more heat.  But now I have my plan of attack for next time.  (And it will start with me sharpening my knives!) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment