Monday, August 19, 2013

Do You Really Need to Sort Lentils?

I always have the best intentions of blogging over the weekend, but yet it somehow always falls by the wayside.  And never has that been more true than in the past few weeks, with traveling and packing taking first priority, followed closely by recovery time!  So yet again I find myself way behind on my posts.  Apologies! 
 
Last Wednesday for dinner I made Italian lentils - which is quickly becoming one of our newly rediscovered favorite dinners.  It's so easy, satisfying, and healthy.  Josh said we should be eating this kind of food a lot more. 
 
The first step in preparing any lentil dish is supposed to be to sort and rinse your lentils.  I always wonder how necessary the sorting step is because most of the time (like last week), I don't find anything to sort out except maybe a lentil skin or something that would have been just fine to leave in the mix.  But every once in a while you find a little stone that somehow found its way into your lentil bag and you definitely don't want in your food.  The stones are so few and far between, sometimes I feel like I just want to be lazy and skip this step, but then I think about how much more annoying a cracked tooth would be and I do it anyway.
 
Do you sort your lentils?  Do you think it's really all that important? 
 
Once the lentils are sorted, the rest of the dish comes together quickly.  Just heat the lentils in a pan with water or veggie stock.  Then add your white bean of choice, a can of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce to taste (I think I use about half the jar), oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
 
To serve I also added a generous sprinkling of vegan Parmesan.  Plus, the beauty of this recipe is that it makes enough for at least 2-3 servings of leftovers, depending on how much you wolf down at dinner.  Delicious insta-lunch for half the week?  Yes, please!   


No comments:

Post a Comment