Friday, August 2, 2013

Easy Dinner Wraps

I'm so excited for this weekend!  Early tomorrow morning Josh and I are headed to New York to go hiking in New Paltz, go shopping at Woodbury Common Outlets, and then Monday we've got VIP tickets to the Colbert Report!!!  Woohoo!  I spent the day making all sorts of preparations, like preparing vegan hiking snacks (post coming soon) and getting my stuff together so we can leave first thing in the morning. 

But back to today ...  This morning started off with a delicious graham cracker protein shake, made with a banana, graham crackers, vanilla protein powder, ground flax, and vanilla soy milk.  Yum!
 
I was trying hard to use up the produce before this weekend, so I snacked on a nectarine mid-morning (my first of two for the day!).  I knew they'd go bad by Tuesday when we get back, and I hate wasting good food ...
 
I ate the last of the mushroom soup for lunch, and a bit later I snacked on a spoonful of dark chocolate dreams peanut butter.  It wasn't exactly going to go bad, but it just tastes so darn good!
 
For dinner I needed to use up some eggplants Josh's parents gifted to us when we visited last weekend.  For the outside observer, eggplant seems like the staple of the vegetarian or vegan diet ... it always seems like people are substituting eggplant for meat in dishes ... but I actually almost never prepare it myself.  Fortunately, I had the Internets at my disposal, and I came across a recipe for a roasted eggplant spread that I tweaked for our tastes and ingredients-on-hand to make a tasty wrap filling. 
 
I also stopped by the salad bar at Giant to grab a few mixed veggies to fill out the wrap - the perfect way to get all sorts of different vegetables without worrying about tons of leftovers.  This box of lettuce, shredded carrot, red onion, red bell pepper, and grape tomatoes only cost about $2.30! 
 
For the eggplant spread I blended together the roasted and skinned eggplant, chick peas, lime juice, liquid smoke, garlic, tahini, and salt.  Then I spread the mixture on some wheat tortillas and laid the veggies on thick.  Of course, two wraps per person ... They were delicious! 




No comments:

Post a Comment