Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Leaving for Cali Pesto

I've been out of touch for a while and failed completely to explain why before I left ...  But I spent the last week in California!  Trips are always exciting, but I had so much last-minute stuff to do that posting to the blog just sort of fell to the wayside.  Apologies! 
 
One of the last-minute chores I did manage to accomplish though was to make a quick batch of pesto before leaving.  I never bother to get plant-sitters when I travel (though Panda was safely squared away at Josh's parents' house), so I basically assume that my travel is a form of Darwinism for the plants - the strong will survive.  But since my basil was looking so lovely before I left I decided that if the plant wasn't going to make it through my time away I should still do my best to preserve what I could.  So I clipped a bunch of the leaves and decided to make a small batch of pesto to freeze before heading off.
 
The plant still wasn't terribly large, so it was definitely a small batch of pesto, but it's still about a trillion times better to make pesto with fresh basil.  It actually comes out bright green, rather than the sort of sickly brownish-green you get with store bought basil. 
No-Fail Vegan Pesto
Makes enough for two plates of pasta
 
(Asjust all ingredient amounts to taste)
 
1/2 cup basil leaves (washed and dried)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon vegan parmesan
1/2 tablespoon pine nuts
1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
salt and pepper
 
Blend and enjoy (or freeze if you're headed out of town).

No comments:

Post a Comment