Thursday, April 24, 2014

Miso Soup

Last week I spied the tub of miso I have sitting in the fridge for making delicious vegan brie and cashew cheese sauce and decided I might as well make the thing miso is most famous for  ... soup!  I made a big batch of miso soup at the beginning of the week that ended up being three dinners - I was a bit miso-souped-out by the last bowl.  I followed this recipe, but tweaked it by adding some shitaake mushrooms to the mix and amping up the amount of tofu, scallions, and seaweed. 
 
Along the way I learned a few important things about making my own miso soup:

1. It's important to cut the seaweed up into smallish pieces or the long strips will send soup flying everywhere when you're trying to eat.
 
2. To cut the seaweed, it's a lot easier to fold the sheets up and then cut with scissors than to try to cut with a knife on a cutting board.
 
3. Cook the shitaakes first, the heating of the soup alone will not do it and raw mushrooms have a really weird consistency.
 
But most importantly ...
 
Miso soup is tasty, but not enough to eat it three nights in a row.  Either I'll have to figure out how to make a much smaller batch or stick to ordering it in restaurants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment