Monday, April 21, 2014

Lemon Coconut Bars

When invited to Josh's parents' house for dinner last weekend, of course the first thing I do is ask "Is there anything I can bring?"  Which is how I got roped into baking again.  Don't get me wrong ... I love to bake.  And I love to eat sweet treats.  The problem is that when I bake and then eat sweet treats I tend to not stop at one.  And when I end up baking something for occasion after occasion, then I end up eating multiple desserts ... every day ...  Not good for my health and not good for the size of my posterior. 
 
It was actually Josh's idea to make lemon bars ... specifically, he wanted lemon coconut bars.  And fortunately I had recently come across this recipe on Chocolate Covered Katie for plain lemon bars that I thought would be easy enough to tweak for my needs.  Plus, the recipe was both relatively healthy and also had a small yield - the less it makes, the less I can eat, right?  I followed the recipe almost exactly (I didn't use lemon zest, and obviously I used a lot less food coloring - I prefer the natural-looking yellow, rather than the technicolor) but before putting the bars in to bake I sprinkled sweetened coconut flakes on top.  Even after chilling the bars were surprisingly soft - more like a mousse on top of a firm crust - which meant they really needed to be eaten with a fork.  But they were definitely tasty. 
 
The recipe yielded eight bars that were about 2 inches x 1 1/2 inches - small, but enough to get a few good bites. I'm not quite sure how I would make them firmer next time - maybe more tofu?  But I think I'll be experimenting with these more in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment