Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Basil Cashew Cream Two Ways

When we were out West a couple weeks ago, we visited the home of friends and spent tons of time hanging out in their back yard.  We admired all the lovely veggies they had planted in their garden, which of course led to them sending us home (on a plane!) with tons of kale and chard. 
 
Fortunately, the greens survived the trip.  But that also meant I needed to figure out what to do with them.  Feeling the need for wintery comfort food, I opted to use them in a pasta dish.  I sauteed the kale and chard with garlic and onion, then tossed the cooked greens with pasta and a basil cream sauce I adapted from my standard cashew cream version.  In addition to the usual cashew cream ingredients, I mixed in some fresh basil leaves.  You could definitely taste the basil in the sauce, and it made the whole dish taste a bit lighter and fresher (a bit ...). 
 
The next day I ran out to grab ingredients to use up the basil cashew cream in a whole new way - with roasted veggie sandwiches.  I roasted zucchini, red pepper, eggplant, and onion in the oven for about forty minutes (flipping halfway through), then used the basil cashew cream as a spread on the French bread.  The spread gave the sandwich a tangy sharpness that was amazing.  This may have been a quick attempt to use leftovers, but I think I preferred it even to the pasta dish! 
 
Basil cashew cream sauce = big winner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment